Thursday, July 9, 2009

Time to Take a Stand


You already know I only watch Fox news because ABC, CBS and NBC report only what they feel we need to know, not what we deserve to know. Yesterday on Glen Beck, I listened as Judge Napolitano discussed the bill Congress is considering to regulate cyber-bullying, an act instigated by the recent death of Megan Meier, a teenage girl who committed suicide after her online boyfriend broke up with her and told her that the world would be better off without her. The ‘boyfriend’ was actually a teen girl’s mother in the neighborhood. Cited from actual report)

While I see merit in punishing the idiot adult who drove a young woman to kill herself, this bill is a violation of our first amendment rights as granted by the Constitution. "Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech".

This is but another example of how the current administration is determined to have a say in every aspect of our lives. The term "private citizen" will no longer apply as anything we post, email, or tweet will become subject to government interpretation. Your expressed opinion may fall under guidelines determined as cyber bullying and make you subject to prosecution. Trust me...this isn't a joke.

Years ago, I watched a movie called, Big Brother. I know you've heard the term, "big brother is watching." More and more, we are headed in the direction of the film made so long ago. There may eventually come a time when everything we do, say or think is scrutinized by the very people we elected to represent US! Again, I urge you...when you vote and see the word, "incumbent," vote for new blood. It's time to clean house because our current Congress has forgotten who they work for. It's time to stop them from bullying us.

I've always considered that writing to my Congressman or Senator was a waste of time, but I recently wrote to Senator Bob Corker, U.S. Senator for Tennessee about my concerns about Cap and Trade. I received a very nice letter in response, thanking me for contacting him. I truly felt it wasn't a form letter, but even if it was written by his secretary, it was a nice touch. I think I'll send him to a link to this blog. In case you haven't noticed, I've felt quite comfortable with my First Amendment rights and clearly expressed negative opinions about the current administration. I'd really hate to go to jail simply because someone didn't see eye-to-eye with me.

1 comment:

Lillie Ammann said...

Ginger,

I've been writing my representatives for years, more often through organizations I belong to that make it easy to make contact through their Web sites. But it's more important than ever today.

WARNING: I support the office of the President, not the person currently holding it!