Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Frivilous Law Suits

When I'm not watching Fox News and catching up on the ridiculous antics on capital hill, I peruse Reader's Digest. Where else can you improve your vocabulary, read quotes from famous people, scan an array of jokes, or read such interesting articles. I have to admit, it's a favorite publication of mine...always handy right next to the toilet for all to enjoy.

With the economy in the dumper, it stands to reason that more and more people are going to seek money wherever they can find it. Suing one another is a favorite pastime. We already have more than our share of ambulance-chasing attorneys who advertise on TV and feed on the greed of the common man. I was amazed at the statistics in RD, and this is probably just the beginning.

According to the May issue, Suing people has cost American citizens and corporations $247 billion in 2006. Cases cited bordered on ridiculous, with some so unbelievable, I can't fathom they saw the light of day: A retired Navy Reserve captain threatening suit if people didn't address her by her military title; a father suing a little league coach over a losing season; a prisoner who attempted escape and injured himself suing the system because they made it too easy for him to escape. How about a person dumb enough not to read a package, suing a cosmetic company because SHE dyed her hair the wrong color? A few years ago, someone filed a $67 million lawsuit against a dry cleaner for losing a pair of pants. Those must have been some trousers.

Luckily, none of these suits ended in a judgement for the complaining party, and that's good news. It's ridiculous monetary awards that open the door to idiots. I'm wondering how many people suffering from Mesolthelioma have contacted an attorney, as advised by one law firm's TV ad, or how many have sought retribution from the misleading ads about risky pharmaceuticals? Sure, attorneys are going to fabricate or stretch the truth in order to get a piece of the pie.

There is a time and place for filing a law suit. I had a perfect opportunity at one stage in my life and I didn't do it, because I have a conscience. Of course, there have been many times in the recent months, I questioned my judgement. But, I can look at myself in the mirror and know I was a better person than the one who caused my pain and suffering. I didn't need money to buy that conclusion for me. I'll never be rich, but I have pride.

Where will the stupidity in this country end...or will it. With the upcoming Generation Y children who've grown up believing the world owes them a living, I doubt we've even glimpsed absurdity. Lord help us.

No comments:

WARNING: I support the office of the President, not the person currently holding it!